Visual Anthrophology in Japan

Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Korean Wave"


[Girls Generation]

[yon sa ma]

[Tohoshinki]

Today I want to talk about “The Korean Wave” in Japan which means Korean syndrome.
At first it has happened over the world many years ago. But it became boom when the drama [winter sonata] started.

[Winter Sonata]


Especially “beyongjun” who is famous actor both in Japan and Korea is leading the Korean wave. When the drama [winter sonata] started in Japan, it was such a big issue. They called the main actor beyongjun as ”yonsama”. In Japan 'Sama' means respect and honor. The more drama came out Japan, The more actor became famous in Japan even actress. And it leads to Korean Music boom. For last few years Korean singers have been super famous and getting bigger in Japan. I’ve seen the news about it many times when I was in Korea but no one took it seriously. However since I’m in Japan, I can feel it every day. Many Japanese friends around me say that they crazy about Korean singer. Sometimes when I seat in CIE, Some Japanese who I’ve never seen came to me and start to talk about Korean singer who they like. At the beginning of semester it was so fresh and I felt proud of my. It’s kind of good experience that I’ve never expected.

[Big Bang]

There has been many famous Korean singers from Boa to Big bang. The impressive thing is I met an American friend in my seminar house who likes Big Bang so much. She said she didn’t know big bang before she came to Japan. But right now she loves them so much so she bought the T-shirts which big bang designed and bought some stuff to remember them and went to the concert which is hold in Osaka Park.





These are the picture she took in the concert instead of me. (I asked her to take a picture of Japan for my blogging because I couldn’t go there). She didn’t even have a ticket to enter but she went there just with passion to listen the live song. She said she saw them in person and it was nice experience. She looked really happy. I could see many people were there through the pictures she took. And it was weigh more than I thought.
There are a lot of Japanese friends who love Korea so I cannot mention all of them. But I want to introduce my friend “natumi" who loves Korean singer more than I do. I got surprised when I saw her room.



Those are the pictures of her room. There are pictures of Korean singer on the wall and she has CD and some stuff. Moreover she went to the concert many times and even went to Korea many times.
I feel so proud that many foreign people love Korean signer because they pay attention to Korea and want to know more and even some people want to learn Korean and some of them already know or studying it right now. It is so excited that we are the one who spread the new trend and make people know Korea. It’s not just happened in Japan but also all over the Asia and some part of America even now it’s going to Europe.
The reason why Korea wave is important is it’s not just a brief spike in popularity. The age of the people who start to like Korean drama at the beginning was middle of 30 to 40. It lead to young generations.  It’s not just like a famous people such as "Beckham". They don’t go to America to see his house or the place he has been and don’t study English because they like he. But in this case it is different. They come to Korea to see the actor they like even they go to the place which the film was taken and study Korean.
I considered Japanese women as passive women who is quit all the time and never say no to the guys. I thought that all they want to do is to be a good wife and to get a good family. But they got changed a little in certain ways by "Korean wave". They start to express their opinion and now they actually do something they like to get it. I think it also plays a role in change in Japan.




Young generation just want to be their famous Korean singer. Even girls like girl group singers. They do what singers do. Also their style is influenced by Korean. As I’m Korean, I felt so proud of it and it was interesting aspect of Japan because even korean don't do as much as Japanese do. I hope it’ll be keep going and make a good result.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that the interest in Korea has not been merely a boom but a continuing wave. This is important for the relationship between these two very similar yet different neighbors.

    ReplyDelete