Visual Anthrophology in Japan

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sakura in Japan


I want to write about Hanami and skura in Japan. I think most of people in my class will write about it so I tried to find another topic. But I think it is one of the biggest festivals in Japan so I don't want to miss it. I've never seen such a big sakura festival before. We have it but it's not traditional things like Japan. I think Hanami is a big part of Japanese culture and we cannot think of Japan without sakura. Sakura is Japan’s national flower.


I went to “Hanami” with some of my Japanese friends last week. It was my first time to go to see sakura so I was so excited. It was a huge festival than I expected. There were so many people and many stores that sell foods and beers. Everyone brought food and shared with people. So we could taste many kinds of food. And then we played games and take pictures and took a nap. And I had seen many families and a group of people.
[kiyomizudera in kyoto]

I spend a lot of time in Kyoto in order to see sakura for last week. I cannot forget it forever. For this season some temples open at night. I went there to see the night view and it was incredible. I’ve heard that every Japanese come to famous temple for sakura in this season. I went there the last day of festival so it was so crowded. This festival came from in the past and it’s like an annual event in Japan. Many people sit down under the sakura and drink beer and have some food. And they made a lot of noise… I got surprised in this case. Because normally they don’t like to make a noise but they sing a song loudly in the public area and made noise something like that. I think only this season they can break their rule for temporally and get rid of stress.
I think Hanami is social equipment for Japanese who live such an inflexible society to take a breath for few days in a year.

 
[Nijo castle in kyoto]

I took a thusand of pictures in kyoto for last week in my mind. It is so priceless and never forget it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, hanami is a very popular topic for the blogs this week. You have some very nice photos in this post.

    ReplyDelete